There is nothing better than a full, organised pantry. Having a great stock of pantry staples makes healthy eating much easier.
Spring is a fantastic time for detoxing your pantry and getting rid of all the foods
that don’t serve you or your family! The less temptation the better!! There are plenty of amazing wholefood healthy alternatives to your favourite ingredients so start experimenting.
Wherever you can, try to get S.L.O.W. (Seasonally, Local, Organic, Wholefoods) Be really mindful of what you are buying especially anything that comes in a packet with a label.
Here is a list of our top 10 wholefood pantry staples to get your started:
- Coconut Oil – Coconut Oil is full of healthy fats and boasts a high smoke point, meaning it won’t go rancid in high temperatures. Use it in all your cooking, it even doubles as a skin moisturiser, lip balm and sunscreen!
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Apple Cider Vinegar boasts a range of health benefits including lowering cholesterol, reducing blood sugar levels and may assist in weight loss. This pantry staple can be consumed as a drink diluted with water and fresh lemon, made into a dressing or used in cooking.
- Raw Almonds – Raw Almonds are incredibly versatile and can be used to make almond meal, almond milk, almond butter or eaten as a healthy snack or salad topper. Another great nut to have on hand is Cashews – these are often used in raw desserts and can be used to make a lovely dairy free and vegan cashew cream!
- Medjool Dates – Medjool Dates are a great high fibre sweet snack and are used in most raw desserts as they act as a natural sweetener.
- Quinoa – Quinoa is a filling source of protein that can be served at breakfast (quiona porridge), lunch or dinner. Quinoa is an excellent replacement for both rice and pasta, is a great protein booster in salads and works well as either a main or a side dish.
- Natural Sweetner – Maple Syrup or Raw Honey – A natural sweetener is
often called for in healthy baking recipes, particularly raw desserts but can also be used in sauces and dressings.
- Raw Cacao Power – Raw Cacao Powder boasts an array of antioxidants and is a healthier alternative to cocoa. It can be used in baking, drinks, puddings, raw desserts and more.
- Almond Meal – A great alternative for gluten-free cooking. Almond flour is nutrient dense and delicious in breads, cakes, muffins etc.
- Chia Seeds – Chia seeds are an easy way to add protein, fibre, healthy fat, calcium and minerals to your diet and are loaded with antioxidants. Sprinkle on cereals, smoothies, juices or use in baking.
- Organic Turmeric – Not only does turmeric add great flavour it is also known for it’s immunity boosting and anti-oxidant , antiviral & antibacterial properties.
Ask your local Source store to help you get started with these ingredients. Simply bring in your containers (or buy some of ours) to fill up with exact quantities you need…straight from the source!Read more